Holiness

What does the word "Holiness", with a capital 'H' conjure up in your mind?  It's an amazing word if you meditate on it for a while.  It's powerful and possibly scary.

God's Word says that God is Holy.  It then turns to us, looks us square in the soul and says, "now you be Holy because I Am Holy."

Bam.

What do you do with that?

Well, depending on your understanding of Holy, you could do a lot of different things with that.  The thing is, the book that tells us everything we know about God makes a really big deal out of Holiness - with a capital H.  The basic definition of holy is, "to be set apart."  But I need to emphasize that that is very basic indeed.

I realize a need in my own life to understand and become more Holy.  But I recognize at the same time that I can't compromise God's commandments and attributes of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control, etc.  Those are supposed to be fruits of my Spirit-empowered Holiness.  And I don't think I am alone.

So for the rest of this year, our body is going to be taking a look at what it means to be Holy.  This beautiful picture of power mixed with grace which the Bible goes over and above painting for us.  It's all there.  Do you want to see it?  Do you want to be Holy as He is Holy because He is Holy - or are you content in the nebulous thought that somehow, you are set apart?

You are loved with a Holy love.  You are covered by a Holy grace.  You are protected by a Holy sovereignty.  You are provided for by a Holy sustenance.  Your life is bathed in a torrent of Holy experience.  Do you, like me, need help to see it and be transformed by it?  How are you pursuing Holiness?

With you for His glory,