As Long As We're Livin'!

II Peter chapter 1, Peter says to his readers, "12Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. 13I think it right, as long as I am in this body,h to stir you up by way of reminder, 14since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. 15And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things."


The therefore is that God has provided every spiritual blessing and promise in Christ Jesus.  If we respond to it by continuing the struggle to always add more virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, endurance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love to our faith, then we will not be useless and unfruitful in our knowledge of Him.  That is why he will continue to remind us.  

As God would have it, he continues to remind us long after his (Peter's) physical body died through the Spirit's preserving power of His Word.

It's refreshing, isn't it, to see that Peter says, "I know that you already know these things and are grounded in them,"?  He doesn't treat anyone like a lesser class citizen.  He doesn't talk down to us as if we were real problem children of God and he was perfect.  He treats us all as co-heirs in the faith, having the knowledge and grounding we need.  Yet, he sees his job to continue reminding us and urging us forward.

I love being a pastor and I love almost every aspect of what I do, but there are days when I feel a little run down and out of the race.  That's when I need the exhortation of the Spirit through some means to push me on to get back in the race at the capacity I am able to do it.  Whether it be a friend, a stranger, the Word itself, or circumstances that kick me into gear, I am so grateful for the nudging work of the spirit to continue growing and working what he has given me to work.

I am surrounded by older brothers and sisters in Christ who remind me of this daily by their continued efforts to work the work that God has given them.  As long as I am in this body, I pray that I will be doing the work that God has given me to do - and doing it well.  I know that as long as I am here, he is not done with me yet.

Thank God for the hard working pioneers in your life, and thank God for the strength to fulfill your purpose... one step at a time today.


With you for His glory,